Areas of Law / General Legal Advice

My wife may have to go into a care home in the future, and I have been told by a friend that because our house is in my name and we have separate bank accounts, the local authority can’t take my money or make me sell our house for her care. At the moment she would be self funding.

The local authority cannot include your capital and income in the financial assessment they make for your wife. The local authority does not have the power to assess a couple’s joint resources and must assess everyone individually. Your wife will pay the full cost of her residential care if she has assets or capital in her own right above £23,250, and may qualify for help with the fees if her savings dip below that figure.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Very useful and professional advice, thank you.

Another Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms