Areas of Law / Property

My neighbour has planning permission to extend his property. Part of the work involves building on his boundary wall, so in order to finish it off the builder will have to come on to my property. Has he the legal right to do this, or could I refuse him access?

It’s unusual for planning permission to be given for building work which goes right up to the boundary, so you may wish to check this. Your neighbour should have given you notification of the proposed work under the Party Wall etc. Act, and you may be able to prevent it going ahead. However if you don’t object you may find your side of the wall will look better if you give access to the builders. In that case make sure your neighbour agrees to pay for any damage to your property.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Very useful and professional advice, thank you.

Another Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms