Areas of Law / Consumer Law

We recently bought an oil-fired combined cooker and central heating boiler. We were concerned that it would be noisy, but went ahead with the purchase after the manager of the shop gave us a demonstration in the showroom. When the cooker was installed it was so noisy we went back to the shop, only to discover that the demonstration model was gas-fired! Do we have any right to ask them to change the cooker?

You may well have a claim for misrepresentation. Write to the manager immediately telling him you are rejecting the unit and give him the opportunity of replacing it with a quieter model. If he refuses to do this you should see a solicitor. It sounds as though you would have a good chance of winning either compensation or your money back.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Thanks for supporting me with advice on this matter. I will definitely recommend you to others who may require your expertise.

Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms