Areas of Law / Divorce and Family

My daughter has mental health problems which wrecked her marriage. Her husband was granted custody of their baby, but she is worried that the baby will be put up for adoption if he can’t cope. Am I right in thinking that children cannot be put up for adoption unless the natural mother signs adoption forms?

No, but it’s true to say that parental agreement is only dispensed with after very careful consideration by a judge. A court can grant an adoption order where it considers that this would be overwhelmingly in the best interests of the child. However this would normally only happen after exhaustive efforts on the part of the local authority to help the parents look after the child themselves. Funding through the Legal Aid Agency is available to parents involved in such issues regardless of their financial circumstances.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Very useful and professional advice, thank you.

Another Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms